Mapquest Driving Directions
MapQuest driving directions are great, they’re free, accurate, easy to follow, and most importantly, they are easy to get. But before we move let me tell you something, I love driving, and I also love technology, so that’s why I am such a big fan of online mapping websites like Yahoo Maps and Google Maps among several others. In fact, some, if not most of these sites provide me with exactly the kind of tools that I like to use on a daily basis, because due to the type of functionality they offer I am able to save time and money, which means that they actually make my life better, and I think it’s worth mentioning that they are also very easy to use.
One thing that I really like about using these services is that they allow me to easily and quickly find locations, explore places, and get around cities and towns where I have never been to before. In the past, all I had to do was print a detailed map with a route and step-by-step directions on it, but now, thanks to major advancements in technology, especially in the mobile technology sector, I can just turn to MapQuest’s mobile app to get directions from start to finish on the go.
Before web mapping services and sites like Google Maps, MapQuest, and Bing Maps were available, regular people like you and me would have to write down with pen and paper the addresses of the places that we were planning on visiting, and then we had the task of figuring out which were the best routes to arrive to our destination on time (or at least in less time), remember? I remember clearly, I was constantly wasting a lot of valuable time trying to find my next destination, but things have changed a lot since then, so now I only need a computer or a mobile device with an internet connection.
Although Map Quest still supports printing maps, there aren’t many users taking advantage of this feature nowadays, because now there’s an easier and more convenient way of accessing the service through the company’s mobile app for Android, Windows Phone, Kindle, Fire Phone and iOS devices. It’s also worth noting that the app is just as good and reliable as the desktop site, it offers voice guided turn-by-turn directions and navigation, automatic re-routing, live traffic updates, business reviews, and more. Now, for those of you who don’t want to use or download MapQuest’s mobile app, then don’t forget to check out the official site for mobile web browsers to get to and from directions on your mobile device even without the app. You can find more information about the latter option below.
How to Get MapQuest Driving Directions
- Visit MapQuest.com.
- Click on the “Get Directions” button located in the upper left side of the screen.
- Now enter your starting point or address where it says “Where are your starting?” (It used to be the A field or “From” location, but the text and other elements changed after the site’s redesign – learn more about it here).
- Then type the name or address of your destination where it now says “Where are you going?” (Note: this used to be the B field or “To” location, where you would normally type in your ending address.
- And click on the green button below the “Add Stop” option or link to “Get Directions”.
If you want to create a route with multiple stops click on the “ADD STOP” option as many times as necessary, after adding multiple destinations to your route, you can let Map Quest re-order your stops to get the most optimized route (don’t forget that you can also click and drag stops to reorder them manually), then you can choose to avoid tolls and highways, and if you click on the “Advanced Settings” link, you can choose to avoid ferries, seasonal roads, timed restrictions, and country borders.
If you still don’t understand how to get maps, routes, and directions via AOL’s web mapping site, then I suggest you to watch the entire video below so that you can fully grasp the concept of how it works, even if you didn’t understand the instructions previously laid out in this page. After watching the video, keep reading as you’ll find more valuable information and many ideas on how to use the service to your advantage in order to get the best out of it.
WATCH THE VIDEO BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!
Generally, using the Map Quest route planner will allow you to create well optimized routes, all of which have been designed to increase both driving performance and efficiency. For years, MapQuest’s route planner has been helping people everywhere find shorter, as well as quicker routes to get to their destination, not to mention that it has also helped them find routes with less traffic density for safer and easier rides. Also, being able to find the best routes helps you to save time and also a lot of money on gas, two things that you, and everyone else for that matter, hate to waste. If you visit MQ’s official website, you will find other useful tools that will allow you to save more time, and even more money without much effort. I will cover more about those tools below.
MapQuest.com is perhaps one of the few web mapping sites that has consistently gotten better over the last few years, in fact, I think that it is a lot better now than it was several years ago, and I’m positively sure that in another 10 or 20 years, it will be even better than it is today. If you scroll down a bit, you’ll find a full list of the most useful tools, the most popular features, and additional services that company offers. And, once you’ve gone through the entire list, you will know exactly why everyone likes AOL’s suite of mapping applications and services.
Most Popular Features:
- Step-by-Step Voice Guided Driving Directions: Ideal for people who don’t like to deal with traffic.
- Walking Directions to get to your destination on foot.
- Transit Directions are convenient for your daily commute.
- Bike Directions to find the best biking routes, paths and lanes for traffic free cycle rides!
- Multiple Stops Route Planner so you don’t have to spend a lot of time planning routes or driving around town.
- Live Traffic Cameras and Road Conditions along with traffic reports and weather information.
- Gas Prices on Desktop and Mobile: Find gas stations with the cheapest gas prices near you.
- High resolution interactive maps that let you explore places using a variety of different types of views, images and layers, such as road maps, street maps, satellite images, 360 View, and Bird’s Eye View.
- Re-routing capabilities that allow you to quickly find alternate routes or adjust your current route by simply dragging and dropping the route line. This is perhaps one of the best and easiest ways to find alternate routes to get to your destination faster.
- Road Trip Planner: Mapquest comes packed with out of the box road trip planning features that you can use to find resting areas and highway exits along your route.
- POIs and Business Layers: Find points of interest and use business layers to include popular landmarks and locations, such as hotels, shopping malls, garages, cafes, restaurants, bars, gyms, hospitals, and drugstores to your routes.
- MapQuest Local and Discover (Formerly mQvibe): mQvibe is the ideal place for collecting, sharing and planning places to visit and things to do wherever you are.
- Mapquest Mobile: Formerly M4M, now simply known as Mobile Solutions, lets you get maps and directions on the go using mobile devices such as Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, Kindle, and Blackberry. MapQuest’s Mobile suite also includes a unique version for Mobile Web Browsers.
Mapquest driving directions are available in many countries and cities around the world, however, the service is a lot more popular in North American and English speaking countries such as the United States (USA), Canada, and the United Kingdom (UK). Although AOL’s mapping service offers driving directions worldwide, there are many places where you can’t get walking, transit, biking, or driving directions yet, but you can still visit the site and use the service to explore popular locations in those areas through high quality and detailed interactive maps.
If you decide to visit www.mapquest.com to get directions, but you suddenly realize that the site’s routing service does not currently support routing in your area, then go to MapQuest’s Open website at open.mapquest.com to plot your routes and get directions there. Map Quest Open does not support directions everywhere, so if you can’t create routes or get step-by-step directions using the previous web address (URL), then I suggest that you use an alternative service like Google Maps instead, at least in my opinion that is.